Spring is a popular Java web framework for developing Enterprise web applications. Spring boot is a tool to create Spring based applications quickly and easily.
Spring provides support for JDBC to communicate with database. It provides a class
JdbcTemplate, which internally uses JDBC API but it minimises all the boiler plate code.
JdbcTemplate is a powerful mechanism to connect to the database and execute SQL queries. It internally uses JDBC api, but eliminates a lot of problems of JDBC API.
It is the central class in the Spring JDBC support classes. It takes care of creation and release of resources such as creating and closing of connection object etc. So it will not lead to any problem if you forget to close the connection.
It handles the exception and provides the informative exception messages by the help of exception classes defined in the
We can perform all the database operations by the help of
JdbcTemplate class such as insertion, updation, deletion and retrieval of the data from the database.
Advantages of using JdbcTemplate
- Creation and closing of connections
- Running statements and stored procedure calls
- Iterating over the
ResultSetand returning results
- Provides support of exception handling
Following are the reference courses, to learn more about Spring and Spring JDBC
1) Spring Framework Master Class – Java Spring the Modern Way
2) Spring Boot Fundamentals
Following are the reference books, to learn more about Spring and Spring Boot
Watch the video
Following are the Spring JDBC examples, follow these tutorials in the order which is mentioned
- Create a Spring boot REST API to get all the records from database using JdbcTemplate
- Create a Spring boot REST API to get the single record from database using JdbcTemplate
- Create a Spring boot REST API to save the record to the database using JdbcTemplate
- Create a Spring boot REST API to update the record to the database using JdbcTemplate
- Create a Spring boot REST API to delete a record from the database using JdbcTemplate
- Create a complete Spring boot REST API that connects to MySQL database using JdbcTemplate